Another sort of March madness unfolded on Friday.
The 49ers, Eagles and Dolphins spent some time revamping the NFL 2021 interim order with a pair of trades that turned projections upside down and added a lot of fun to this year’s draft.
Business Details 49ers-Dolphins
- 49ers receive: number 3 of your choice
- dolphins receive: pick # 12, third round pick 2021, round one pick 2022, round one pick 2023
Dolphins-Eagles Business Details
- Eagles receive: pick # 12 overall, fourth round pick 2021 (# 123 total)
- dolphins receive: pick # 6 overall, fifth round pick (# 156 total), 2022 first round pick
There’s a very real possibility that the quarterbacks are now 1-3 in this year’s draft, with potentially five quarterbacks in the top 10. That’s crazy stuff.
The two separate deals rocked the NFL world and destroyed more fake drafts than March Madness supports. What does it all mean? Here’s how that could affect a number of teams heading into the April 29 draft:
New York Jets
– The 49ers were one of the rumored landing spots for the Jets quarterback Sam Darnold. It’s more than likely dead in the water now, with the 49ers fielding Jimmy Garoppolo and, presumably, looking to select a quarterback in the 2021 draft.
– As the 49ers move up to No. 3 overall, it’s hard to believe GM John Lynch hasn’t at least spoken with Jets general manager Joe Douglas for second pick. The fact that a deal can’t be done means New York has a clear eye on a specific No.2 player – likely a quarterback, too.
– Anyone looking to trade up to the Jets’ pick at No.2 probably means that a deal starts with, at a minimum, two firsts and many more, given that this was the established market when the Dolphins traded their places to the 49ers. . Expect the Jets to stay there and take a QB.
– The Dolphins returning to No.12 (then No.6) tell you that the team is rather sold in quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. There was speculation the passer, entering his sophomore year, was suspended alongside the No.3 pick for Deshaun Watson. Sexual assault allegations seemed to silence all Watson business rumors for the time being.
– A throwback to No.6 tells us that the Dolphins are still within quarterback range, but they are likely considering a large-scale offensive weapon for Tua in the draft. If they stay at # 6, there’s a good chance that one of the Ja’Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith or Kyle pitts will be there for the taking, giving the Miami attack another dimension as they continue to help Tagovailoa grow.
San Francisco 49ers
– Make no mistake, giving up two future No.1 picks and a third round means the 49ers are going to be looking for a quarterback in the draft. These are strengths that you don’t give up if you aren’t. At # 3, there might be some mouthwatering options available for San Francisco: the BYU passer-by Zach wilson, Ohio State Justin fields, Alabama QB Mac Jones and the state of North Dakota Trey Lance could all be on the board there, depending on who goes 1-2 to the Jaguars and Jets.
– With Jones, Lance and Wilson having their pro days already, that could mean the 49ers consider one of those quarterbacks to be the guy at No.3. Fields’ practice is scheduled for March 30.
– What does this mean for Jimmy Garoppolo? Maybe nothing. There are reports that the 49ers currently have no plans to trade Jimmy GQ, although NFL plans mean about as much as a screen door on a submarine.
The 49ers are now part of the QB mix, but are retaining Jimmy Garoppolo and have no plans to trade him, the sources say.
– Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 26, 2021
– San Francisco will probably be very good again in the immediate future in order to give up two first rounds. That makes sense, considering the team were absolutely ravaged by injuries a year after reaching the Super Bowl.
– Coming back to 12th and getting a first-round pick in 2022 is good value for the Eagles, but it will likely put them out of the race for a better QB.
– Philadelphia would only consider a trade up to # 3 if it meant Zach wilson was on the set. Well, with a downward trade it might suggest the Eagles believe Wilson will be taken off the board by Pick 3, with the Jets the most likely suitor.
Rephrase an earlier tweet for clarity: from the start of the perspective project, the #Eagles felt Zach Wilson was a good prospect, but for where they are they felt that going back and picking up a future 1st round was a better way to build a team.
– Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 26, 2021
– With QBs presumably No. 1, 2 and 3 in the NFL Draft, the Falcons and No. 4 pick become exceptionally interesting. While some reports suggest the Falcons are looking into QB, the restructured deal from Matt ryan likely means the Falcons are looking to add help elsewhere to win now with Ryan.
– New head coach Arthur smith makes Derrick Henry the engine of the attack on Titan. The Falcons should have offers to consider a downside trade, depending on who may want to move up to the fourth-best QB on the team draft tables.
– Justin fields man feels like something forgotten in the rough draft. He was once considered the consensus No.2 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Now he’s been knocked down after a patchy 2020 season. Could the Panthers, who reportedly bought Teddy Bridgewater, end up with Fields at No.8? It’s always a possibility, even if it’s a stretch.
–The Panthers could also find a way to climb to No.5 (the Bengals), but that would take both creativity and a lot of hope that the quarterback of choice is there to choose from. It’s a risky game to play, but the class is very, very deep this year.